Charlton 0-2 Notts Forest

Charlton's home form stuttered again as Nottingham Forest become the third team to take maximum points off The Addicks this season.

Second half goals from Radoslaw Majewski and Henri Lansbury condemned the 10-men of Charlton to a 2-0 defeat, after Yann Kermorgant saw red in the first half for violent conduct.

Chris Powell opted for the same starting XI that had outdone a strong Leicester City team in midweek. To some it may have been a surprise, as the Charlton boss decided to keep Danny Haynes on the bench, despite the striker's stunning game-winning strike on Tuesday.

Forest Manager Billy Davies made one change to the team that thrashed Huddersfield 6-1 in midweek. Darius Henderson came in for Dexter Blackstock, as he attempted to keep his unbeaten start intact during his 2nd spell at the helm.

The visitors started the brighter, knocking the ball about well, trying to carve out an early opening.

It was fair to say the opening third was a scrappy affair on a typical winter's day. Simon Cox found himself through on goal, but was deemed offside in a tight call, and with the goal at his mercy.

Radoslaw Majewski was next to go close for the East Midlands' club but he blazed over the bar after the ball fell kindly for him 12 yards out.

The real talking point of the first half came on the 36th minute. Former Charlton loanee Greg Halford shielded the ball on the touchline from Yann Kermorgant, causing the Frenchman to take a swipe at the Forest Defender.

Halford and a majority of his teammates weren't happy, which caused an altercation between both sets of players. After consultation from his assistant on the opposite side of the field, the referee reached for his back pocket and showed Charlton's No.18 a straight red.

The Valley faithful chanted the striker's name as he made the long and lonely walk to the tunnel. The Addicks' 3rd red card of the season meant they played the remainder of the half with no recognised Striker.

The red card means Kermorgant misses forthcoming games against Burnley, Peterborough and Huddersfield.

Bradley Pritchard fired wide shortly after. It was Charlton's first and only real effort of the half when the midfielder picked up the ball 25 yards out, but his shot swerved wide of Karl Darlow's left-hand post.

At half-time, the officials were greeted by a chorus of boos from the home crowd, as they vented their frustration over the first half's pivotal decision.

The start of the second half saw Ricardo Fuller replace Dale Stephens, meaning Charlton resumed play with a striker on the field.

Forest started the second period the same as they did the first, dominating possession. Andy Reid and Adlene Guedioura both had half chances that eluded Ben Hamer's goal.

That was a signal of things to come for the away side, as they took the lead eight minutes into the second half. After Chris Solly and Scott Wagstaff failed to clear their lines Radoslaw Majewski carried on his goal-scoring form by putting Forest into a 0-1 lead and send the 2,500 travelling fans into jubilation.

Eight minutes after that, Forest doubled their lead. Cox had a shot from outside the area that was somehow fumbled by Hamer, then Henri Lansbury tapped in one of the easiest goals he'll score this season to make the score 0-2.

It could have been three not long after. Hamer atoned for his blunder by tipping an effort onto the post, and Elliott Ward couldn't divert the rebound on target.

The Charlton Goalkeeper had to be on hand again moments later. Lansbury nearly doubled his account for the afternoon, but Hamer palmed his effort round the post to prevent Forest going further into the lead.

The visitors were looking very dominant and Henderson almost got his name onto the scoresheet but couldn't direct Andy Reid's cross on target.

Despite their depleted numbers, Charlton showed a bit of fight to claw their way back into the match. Fuller's shot was goal-bound, but Haynes - who came on shortly before Lansbury's goal - got in the way and the shot went begging. A moment that summed up The Addicks' day.

Henderson had another chance to notch a goal, but when Charlton only half cleared, he shot against the outside of the post from a tight angle.

With 6 minutes remaining, Jonathan Greening replaced Andy Reid, who received applause from all around The Valley. Charlton fans showing their gratitude to their former captain who made 40 appearances for the club.

Forest were just seeing out the last remaining minutes of the match, with their 2-0 lead looking as comfortable as ever.

Spurs loanee Jonathan Obika was to make his first appearance in a Charlton shirt in the final minute of normal time. He replaced Pritchard but would barely get a sniff.

The last chance of the match fell to Charlton in injury-time. Fuller was fouled by Halford outside the area - which saw him get a yellow card.

Jackson took the free-kick. The effort was good, but just couldn't be directed towards Darlow's goal.

The referee called an end to a game that Charlton fans will definitely be wanting to erase from their memories as quickly as possible.

Nottingham Forest's 22 shot count to Charlton's 3 suggested how dominate the away side were for the duration of the match.

The Addicks' 7th home defeat of the season saw them drop down to 14th place, while Forest's 4th away win of the season keeps them in 8th place, but just 4 points off of a play-off place.

Up next for Charlton is another home tie against Burnley, where the reds will be hoping to boost their points tally towards the 50 mark, and forget this very bad day at the office.


CAS Trust - Have you joined yet?