Charlton 0-1 Burnley

A wonder-strike from Charlie Austin was enough to separate Charlton and Burnley at The Valley to compound more home misery on The Addicks.

The former Swindon man scored on his 3rd successive trip to The Valley two minutes from the interval to condemn Charlton to back-to-back defeats.

After Chris Powell's side lost 2-0 to Nottingham Forest last week, Charlton's boss made five changes. Yann Kermorgant missed through suspension, while Dale Stephens and Chris Solly missed out due to injury. Scott Wagstaff was dropped to the bench, as too was Ben Hamer, meaning David Button started his first league game in goal for The Addicks. There was also starts for Jon Obika, Ricardo Fuller, Danny Haynes and Lawrie Wislon.

It took 7 minutes for the game's first real attempt. Kieran Trippier crossed the ball to the back post, picking out Charlie Austin whose header was food and drink for Button.

The Clarets did have the ball in the net on the 12th minute. Martin Patterson collected a neat through ball - after Haynes lost possession in his own half - and slotted past Button, but his joy was short-lived as the flag went up.

It was the wake-up call Charlton needed and they came close to scoring minutes later. Wilson's cross was met by Danny Haynes in the box but he couldn't direct his header on target.

Haynes was then denied by Lee Grant in the Burnley goal. Jackson's corner was headed back across goal by Michael Morrison at the far post, and the Charlton striker forced the keeper to push the ball out for another corner.

From the resulting corner, Jackson crossed the ball to the back post after the initial kick fell straight back to him. He picked out Leon Cort who volleyed across the face of goal and Haynes just couldn't turn the ball in.

Up the other end, Button had to be alert to save from Alex Kacaniklic. The Burnley midfielder played a one-two from a corner and drilled the ball towards the Charlton keeper who saved well.

Charlton then had to be thankful to Lawrie Wilson who hacked ball away from Charlie Austin's drive that was about to be tucked away by Martin Paterson at the back post.

It looked like the game was going to be goalless at half-time, until a touch of class in the 43rd minute put Burnley infront - their first goal in over 6 hours of football.

A throw was taken from the left which was picked up by Austin, he had acres of space to run in to and unleashed a powerful drive straight into the top corner from 30 yards that was too hot for Button and Burnley were 1-0 up.

The second half started with The Addicks on the attack. 6 minutes in, Bradley Pritchard found Ricardo Fuller who shot with the outside of his boot but the ball flew over the crossbar.

Burnley had a golden chance to double their advantage not long after. Button could only fumble a low cross from the right wing and Austin just couldn't find his feet, allowing the keeper to recover and gather the ball.

The visitors then had their keeper to thank for maintaining their lead. Jon Obika's header was destined for the bottom corner from Wilson's delivery but the ball was somehow tipped round the post.

After the hour-mark, Powell brought on Danny Green and youngster Callum Harriott in an attempt to add more attacking firepower for The Addicks.

Green's first contribution was a corner that was headed on by Haynes and somehow put wide from point-blank range by Morrison.

Time was running out for the hosts and a 8th home league defeat of the season was looking more and more like a reality.

Lee Grant was the away side's hero again late on. Green crossed and found Cort in the box. The defender was denied a goal against his former club when his looping header was tipped over the bar.

The Addicks continued to throw bodies forward, but Burnley put everyone behind the ball and nothing would fall for the home team.

5 minutes were added on for stoppages but it still wasn't enough time for Charlton to snatch an equaliser, as Burnley held on for their first win in 7.

Charlton have 11 games left to get enough points to stay in the division, as the play-offs now appears to be a bit beyond their reach.

The Addicks now travel to Peterborough in midweek, hoping for an 8th away win of the season.