The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is to stage a day of protest at The Valley on Easter Monday unless there is firm news of new Charlton Athletic owners before April.
Fans have finally run out of patience after team manager Karl Robinson made clear on Tuesday night that even he no longer believes what he is told about the takeover by the existing two-man club board.
Robinson told the media after the latest defeat: “Our CEO was gone at the end of December. Our financial director has gone now. We were told the club would be done in two weeks. That was seven or eight weeks ago in the beginning of January. We thought we’d have somebody in in mid-January to try and push us forward and give us some funds. I’m stood here in mid-March and being told it’s nowhere near.”
CARD said: “While we appreciate the takeover requires a degree of confidentiality, it has become clear that that neither Karl Robinson nor a majority of fans now feel they can rely on what director Richard Murray says.
“Murray said on February 28th that a price and terms had been agreed and ‘we are now just waiting for their respective lawyers to finalise the sale and purchase agreement’. Robinson’s comments suggest the manager has now been given a different story.
“Fans have been very patient this season and wanted to give Karl Robinson and the players every chance. But another opportunity to get out of League One has been squandered, the club has no effective leadership or strategic direction and there appears to be every prospect of this continuing into the summer, while the absentee owner sits in Belgium counting his money.
“If necessary we intend to target Roland Duchatelet’s business operation in Belgium for lawful protest, as well as all three April matches at The Valley, because this situation cannot and will not be allowed to continue indefinitely.”
CARD will announce further details for the Easter Monday game against Rotherham United in due course, with the games on April 14th and 28th to follow, and is focusing its attention abroad on Duchatelet’s plan to open a new 25-room hotel in Belgium in May.
The group is also calling on Charlton fans to boycott season-ticket sales for 2018/19 until new owners are in place.
CARD said: “If the club is sufficiently foolish to bring out its season-ticket prices ahead of a takeover we would hope most fans would say enough is enough.
“Nobody needs to buy a season ticket for August at this stage and Duchatelet would be bound to take it as evidence that he can do anything he likes. It’s no longer about loyalty to the club, which we all share, but propping up his rotten regime.”